For the fritters
Makes 12 palm sized fritters
1 large leek
2 cups of frozen peas, defrosted
2 cans of butter beans
1.5tsp of caraway seeds
Sea salt and pepper
For the tzatziki
Makes 1 small bowl
3 inch piece of cucumber, peeled and de-seeded
1 clove of garlic, minced
100ml coconut yoghurt
A good pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
A drizzle of good quality olive oil
For the tzatziki;
- Finely chop the peeled and de-seeded cucumber, wrap in a sheet of kitchen paper or muslin and squeeze most of the moisture out. Sprinkle the cucumber with sea salt and combine with the minced garlic and coconut yoghurt in a small bowl. Season to taste. Place in the fridge. Remove and drizzle with olive oil just before serving.
To make the patties;
- Slice the leek and steam or sauté in some olive oil until soft.
- Blitz the courgette and peas in a food processor until you have a mixture somewhere between coarse and fine. Put into a bowl and add the steamed leeks.
- Drain both cans of butter beans and blend in the food processor until smooth. Add to the veg along with the caraway seeds and mix well to incorporate. Season to taste.
- Whisk the egg and add to the mixture. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Use your hands to form palm-sized patties - the mixture will be quite wet but just firm enough for you to form work with.
- One by one, place the patties in the hot pan. Don’t pack them in too tightly; leave enough room so that you are able to turn them.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve with some mixed salad leaves, a wedge of lemon and the tzatziki.