Breakfast when you're paleo or gluten/dairy free can be quite a challenge. You eventually tire of smoothies and porridges, and sometimes would just like something on toast. This breakfast loaf has got you covered. It's quite close textured and similar to rye bread. It's high in protein thanks to the eggs and serves up a helping of veggies, making it a bit of an all rounder. I love to eat it with avocado, an egg and a little sprinkling of sea salt and pepper.
Makes 1 loaf
200g sunflower seeds, ground
50g linseeds – ground or ground flax
Generous pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
Optional – 2tbsp pesto
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Line a loaf and with greaseproof paper.
- Blitz the sunflower seeds in a food processor until you have a fine crumb.
- Blitz the linseeds in a food processor, or if using, add the ground flax to sunflower seeds.
- Add the kale to the food processor with the sunflower seeds and linseeds and blitz until everything is roughly the same size.
- Add the eggs, salt, pepper and pesto (if using) and blitz one last time until well incorporated.
- Spoon into the lined loaf tin and level off with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55minutes, until it is dark golden and has a firm crust.
- Cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.