If you follow me on Instagram, you might know that I'm making a real effort to increase my protein intake. I discovered that I've been getting less than half of my RDA, which explains a lot, such as my snails pace muscle and strength gain which has been driving me mad. I've always struggled with protein intake as I eat a largely vegetarian diet (anyone in the same boat?) and have struggled with the concept of protein shakes (until I found this one).
Amaranth has a really decent protein content - get hold of some amaranth pops and you'll be making these bars in no time.
Makes 1 tray
100g coconut oil
200g cashew butter
3tbsp brown rice syrup
Pinch sea salt
30g cacao powder
100g amaranth puffs
2 medjool dates, finely chopped
- Melt the coconut oil along with the cashew butter, brown rice syrup and salt.
- Remove from the heat and add the cacao, and lucuma. Stir until smooth.
- Add the amaranth puffs and stir to coat.
- Add the medjool dates and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet and spread the mixture to an even 1-2cm thick.
- Refrigerate until set before cutting into bars. Store in the fridge.
you may also like...
I, Alana Holloway, owner of Fodder + Plonk, earn a small commission as an affiliate marketer for products recommended on this site. All products recommended are because I love and use them myself and any commission I earn will not affect the price you pay.