If you've been looking for a low sugar, high protein gut healing snack, then you can stop. This is it. These Very Berry Gummies are full of good fat, anti-oxidants from the berries, gut soothing grass fed gelatin - which also happens to be high in protein - and contain a very small amount of natural sugar. They're perfect post-workout, as an after school snack for the kids, or just when you fancy them. They're also ridiculously simple to make. What's not to love?
Makes 1 medium tray/20-25 squares
600ml coconut milk
1tbsp Great Lakes grass fed gelatin powder
300g berries of choice
1tbsp Arctic Power Berries berry powder (optional. I used blackcurrant)
1tbsp brown rice syrup (optional)
- Purée the berries and pass through a fine mesh sieve to remove any seeds/skin. Set aside.
- Gently warm the coconut milk in a saucepan until you can just about stand the heat on your skin.
- Dissolve the gelatin in some water – start with 3tbsp water and stir. You are looking for an applesauce consistency – add more water if necessary until the desired consistence is reached.
- Remove the coconut milk from the hob and whisk in the dissolved gelatin until there are no lumps.
- Allow to cool to room temp before adding the puréed berries, berry powder and brown rice syrup (if using). Stir/whisk to combine. The mixture might appear split at first but this will disappear the more you stir.
- Pour into a lined roasting tray, into ice cube molds or a large Tupperware. Cover and refrigerate until set – this should only take a few hours.
- Cut into squares and snack. They will keep in the fridge for up to a week.