I think this may be my longest recipe to date. It's not as bad as it seems, promise, and the end result is 100% worth it. This is the perfect dish to make for a group of friends. Especially if you get the BBQ going and cook everything on there.
Marinades 4-6 portions of hake
3 cloves garlic
6 sprigs mint, leaves picked
Medium handful fresh coriander, stalks and leaves
2tsp fennel seeds
Zest 1 lime
Juice 1 lime
Glug olive oil
- Pound all ingredients in a pestle and mortar until you have a semi-smooth paste
- Spread the marinate over the fish and let sit in the fridge for 30-minutes before cooking either in a pan or on the BBQ.
Socca (the taco)
Makes 8 socca
400g chickpea/gram flour
- Mix the flour and water in a jug until completely smooth – you can use a blender to speed up the process or mix and leave it for 10 minutes then mix again, repeating until no lumps remain. The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter – adjust the water quanitiy if necessary.
- Set aside for 1-2 hours, or longer if you have time.
- Heat a drop of olive oil in a frying pan and pour in enough batter for a thin pancake, swirling around to cover the base of the pan. Fry for 2-3minutes and flip. Fry for a further 1-2 minutes. You will know when it’s time to flip as the socca begins to peel away from the edges of the pan.
- Keep warm on a plate under a tea towel until all soccas have been cooked.
Hake Socca Tacos - assemblage
You will need
Mixed salad leaves
4 portions pan-fried/BBQ'd marinated hake fillet, flaked
Optional sides: chargrilled veg, avocado salsa
- Spread a layer of hummus down the centre of the socca. Pile with the salad, flaked hake and shallots, in whichever order you please. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and a squeeze of lime juice. Wrap and eat... as gracefully (or not) as you please.