Socca are delicious pancakes or flatbread made from chickpea flour and water, so are a great pancake alternative for vegans or anybody who is gluten intolerant. They can be cooked soft or baked until hard and cut up into nachos (in the reverse order), so are pretty versatile too.
This is a lovely springtime recipe and uses the best of seasonal ingredients.
200g chickpea/gram flour
Juice 1 lime
2tbsp olive oil
Pinch sea salt
4 handfuls frozen peas, defrosted
Zest 1 lemon
Juice ¼ lemon
Pinch sea salt
Bunch spring onions
Handful rocket leaves
Pinch sea salt and cracked black pepper
- To make the socca: whisk the chickpea flour and water together in a jug until you have a smooth batter. Set aside.
- To make the avocado cream, blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the crushed peas, blend all ingredients in a food processor until the peas are ‘crushed’. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan (a frying pan will do if you don't have a griddle pan).
- Slice the courgette into rounds, the spring onions into quarters, lengthways and the asparagus in half, lengthways. Toss in olive oil before chargrilling in the hot griddle pan for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Heat a drop of olive oil in a frying pan. Pour in enough batter for a thin socca and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy at the edges. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- To construct: spread a good helping of the avocado cream on the socca. Layer the chargrilled veg, dollops of the crushed peas and rocket before topping with a little lemon zest and a sprinkling of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Serve and enjoy.