If you love granola but but hate sugar laden breakfasts then this is for you. If you like to start the day with protein but struggle to eat eggs or meat everyday, then this is for you too...
Makes enough for 2 weeks (1 person)
150g chia seeds
230ml plant based milk
600g oats (gluten free)
100g shelled hemp seeds
1tsp vanilla powder (or seeds from 1 pod)
125g coconut oil
75g smooth nut butter (cashew, almond etc.)
2tbsp brown rice syrup + 1tsp to drizzle
4 bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Mix the chia seeds and milk together in a medium bowl, using a fork. Put to one side.
- Mix the oats, linseeds, hemp seeds, pecans, vanilla and salt together in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil, nut butter and brown rice syrup together and pour over the oat mixture. Stir well to coat.
- Add the mashed banana and mix well to distribute.
- Using a teaspoon, dollop the chia seed mix into the oats, stirring to combine each time you use a quarter of the mixture. When baked, they will provide a lovely crunch as well as helping the mixture to stick together.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto lined baking sheets – you will probably need 3 or 4. Break up any clusters that look too big and lightly drizzle with the last teaspoon of brown rice syrup.
- Bake for 30-mins, remove and gently turn the mixture over. Bake for a further 20-30 minutes until the mixture is golden and the chia/banana has dried out.
- Leave to cool on the trays before transferring to an airtight jar where the granola will keep for 1-month (if it lasts that long…)