It's taken me a while to join the miso loving crew. I'd not used it much and didn't really know how utterly delicious it is, with it's sweet, salty, malty flavour. I'm now trying it in everything - consider this notice!
Serves 2 as a main and 4 as a side
1 medium (butternut) squash
1.5tbsp dark miso paste – I use Clearspring brown rice miso
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1tbsp black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven - temp 180C
- Wash and trim the squash. Slice it from bottom to top in approx. 1.5cm thick discs. Remove the seeds and put to one side.
- Slice each disc into quarters, the bigger ones into eighths.
- Place into a large roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and rub with the miso paste and crushed garlic, coating each piece.
- Clean all the squash muck off the squash seeds and place in a small roasting tray.
- Roast the squash in the oven for approx. 40 minutes, or until soft and caramalised around the edges.
- Pop the squash seeds in the oven approx. half way through the squash cooking time.
- Remove the squash from the oven and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Toss and pop back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Either eat on its own with an egg on top and some green leaves or as a side dish.