I am currently experimenting with grain free eating and have chosen the worst season to start... PORRIDGE SEASON! Naturally, I had to find a grain free alternative to warm my cockles on these freezing mornings.
Carrots would seem like the obvious choice here, just look at the title. But I find sweet potato/winter squash give a creamier/smoother and more indulgent porridge.
75g winter squash/sweet potato
35g apple (optional)
30g crushed macadamias (other nuts and seeds also work)
Pinch sea salt
Large pinch ground cinnamon
Large pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch sea salt
Zest ½ orange
50ml cashew (or other plant based) milk
80ml coconut cream
1 egg, whisked
- Grate the carrot and apple, or blitz in a food processor.
- Crush the macadamias in a bag with a rolling pin, in a pestle and mortar or in a food processor, until you have a fine-medium crumb.
- Place all ingredients, minus the egg, into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the carrot is soft.
- In the final few minutes, add the egg and stir vigorously to combine. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt, (toasted) pecans and any fruit topping of choice.
The night before:
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, cook a batch of grated apple and carrot with the spices and milks until soft andcpurée like. Cool and refrigerate until the next morning (this purée will last in the fridge for a couple of days so can be used for the next few mornings. You could even freeze in batches and defrost overnight).
- Crush the macadamias and keep in the fridge or freezer.
The morning of:
- Heat the purée with the macadamias.
- Add the egg in the final few minutes.