'Tis the season for chocolate oranges. Almost.
Energy balls and bars are often a lot of dates and a little of everything else, which, when you're trying to limit your sugar intake can be a pain in the backside. These are the reverse of that, high in healthy fats with a little amount of dates (less than half per ball) to sweeten and bind. Cacao provides a hit of energy whilst the fats can be used for a more steady release. They're also quite decent on the protein front, making these the perfect snack, pre and post workout.
500g cashew nuts
9 medjool dates
3.5tbsp coconut oil
3tbsp raw cacao powder
Zest 1 orange
Handful cacao nibs
- Toast the cashews until golden brown.
- Blitz in a food processor until you have a coarse crumb.
- Add the dates and blitz until well chopped and combined.
- Add the cacao, coconut oil, orange zest and cinnamon, blitz until well combined.
- Add the cacao nibs and pulse the blender to incorporate.
- Roll into balls, arrange on a tray, cover and store in the fridge. Eat at room temperature.