Christmas Day breakfast, to me, is the most magical meal of the day. There's the excitment of having just opened, or the anticipation of being just about to, open your presents and delve into your stockings. Everyone's sleepy and grateful, happy and warm. You're surrounded by your most precious people and the thought of spending uninterrupted quality time with them all day is just too good not to cherish.
My family goes by the tradition of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. This year, I'm throwing caution to the wind and serving something slightly different. Baked eggs in as may ways as one can imagine.
2 free range eggs
Salt & pepper
Flavour variations (photographed):
Prosciutto, mushroom and parsley
Smoked salmon, avocado and dill
Spinach and mushroom
Extra prosciutto and salmon
- Preheat the oven to 220C or as high as it will go
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish with olive oil
- Place chosen filling in the dish
- Crack two eggs on top of the filling and season if necessary
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes