I have always loved eggnog - I was given a small glass once at Christmas when I was a child and thought I was SO grown up!
600ml coconut milk
400ml almond milk
10 cardamom pods
1tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod – seeds and pod
1tbsp maple or brown rice syrup
5 free range eggs
Optional - a shot of Bourbon or espresso
- Pour the milks into a saucepan and add the spices and syrup.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat. Leave for 20-30 minutes to steep.
- Sieve the milk to remove the spices.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl or jug. Trickle in two ladlefuls of the infused milk, whisking as you go.
- Slowly pour the egg and milk mixture back into the rest of the milk, whisking as you go.
- Blitz with a stick blender or whisk with beaters until there is about an inch of foam floating on top.
- Serve warm in glasses with a little nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkled on top.