1L coconut milk
1 vanilla pod
2 star anise
10 split cardamom pods
1/4 nutmeg, grated
3 cinnamon sticks
Knob ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2tsp cracked black pepper
4tsp raw honey or brown rice syrup
1.7tbsp powdered gelatin (or the amount specified on the packet for 1L of liquid) – I use Great Lakes grass fed gelatin
2 eating apples – I used russet
NB: If you are using sheet gelatin or agar agar (vegan) then follow the packet instructions for 1L of liquid.
- Pour the coconut milk into a medium saucepan along with the spices and honey.
- Warm over a low-medium heat for 45 minutes – don’t allow to boil
- Strain the coconut milk through a sieve into a jug
- Dissolve the gelatin as per the packet instructions and add to the coconut milk, stirring to dissolve completely.
- Allow to cool until tepid and pour into 6 glasses
- Refrigerate until set for a few hours or overnight
For the cinnamon apples
- Peel and core 2 apples. Slice into wedges and cook in a small saucepan with a little water and the cinnamon for 5 minutes, until semi-soft
- Allow to cool slightly before spooning on top of the panna cottas